The Metropolitan’s Chambers were built in the second half of the 18 th century on the site of the former cells of the superior. Nowadays, the Patriarch of Moscow and all Russia stays here during his visits to the Lavra.
The Bell Tower was erected in 17401770. It was designed by the architects Shumakher and Ukhtomsky, and it’s one of the tallest in Russia. It replaced the bell tower of the 17th century. Its 5 tiers together with the cross are 88.04 m tall. Its heaviest bell weighed 65 tons. The choice of the bells by their tone and sound was considered to be superb. Before the revolution there were 42 bells. In 1930 all the big bells were thrown down and destroyed. Till 2002 there were only 23 bells. On September 4, 2002 two new bells (35,5 and 27 tons), cast in Moscow, were lifted up to the second tier in presence of the Patriarch Alexy II. The third bell, called Tzar, (72 tons), was cast in Petersburg in 2003.
The clock with chimes was installed in 1905.
|<<||1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10||>>|
21 сентября 2019 г. (8 сентября ст. ст.)
4 июня (22 мая) 1759 года в Троице-Сергиевой Лавре началось строительство Каличьей башни (1759–1778). Строилась она по проекту московского архитектора И. Жукова на деньги, сэкономленные при возведении колокольни (РГАДА. Фонд Лавры. Балдин В.И. - М., 1984. С. 210) (Летопись Лавры).
© 2000-2019 Свято-Троицкая Сергиева Лавра